Avis Safe Drive Terms and Conditions
Any use of the app and/or access to the app is strictly governed by and subject to the terms and conditions contained in this policy from time to time.
The app and all copyright and intellectual property associated therewith, including but not limited to its content, design and software, is the property of Discovery and/or its third party service providers.
Your personal information and location
You consent to Discovery collecting and storing any information that you enter on the app or provide to us in any other way.
You consent to Discovery receiving your physical location when you use the app. We may use various technologies to determine your location within the borders of South Africa, such as the location services on your cellphone.
You consent to your personal information and location being shared between Discovery, Avis and our contracted third party providers in order to i) administer and provide the services and benefits associated with the Avis SafeDrive programme within the borders of South Africa and the app, ii) communicate with you and iii) enable you to communicate with other users of the app.
We will process and store your data, including your personal information, in accordance with all applicable data protection legislation and will ensure that our contracted third party providers are contractually obliged to do the same.
Your driving behaviour
The app and Sensor collects information about your driving behaviour, which is used to determine your driving score. This score is used to reward you with an Active Reward.
In order for us to collect your driving information and for important safety features such as ImpactAlert to work, your cellphone must be switched on, the location setting on your phone must be on, you must be registered in the application, your mobile data must be switched on and your Bluetooth must be on and there must be cellular data connectivity within the South African territorial limits. It is important that your Sensor is not faulty as this may affect the correct functioning of ImpactAlert. Neither Discovery nor Avis will be liable in any way should Discovery, for whatever reason, not receive an ImpactAlert – whether user related, technical or otherwise.
What data charges can I expect when using the app?
The app will automatically attempt to upload your driving information after each time trip. This upload can be done through Wi-Fi or mobile data. If an upload fails, the app will automatically attempt to upload again after your next trip. You can manage these upload options in the app’s Settings. Any data usage, including downloading and updating the app, will be charged at normal provider rates.
Can I download the app on any handset?
The Avis SafeDrive app is available for iOS and most Android operating systems, and for the following handsets. You can view these handsets here.
To download the app from the App Store, you need have a registered iTunes or Google Play Store account.
If your cellphone is stolen, goes missing, is damaged, or is otherwise unavailable, all trips will still be recorded by the Sensor, but your driving score will be negatively affected. You should replace or repair your cellphone and download the app as soon as possible to ensure that the app and its associated services function optimally.
Note: If you change smartphones, you’ll be able to reinstall and continue using the app.
Registration and eligibility
You are solely responsible for all activity that occurs on your app profile and for maintaining the confidentiality of your app profile. Anyone with whom you share your phone may access the app installed on your phone, your app registration details, your driving score and your past trip information.
You are responsible for keeping these details private and for carefully vetting the persons with whom you share your phone and the information on your phone.
Note that if you connect with other users or an additional user on the app during your rental period, those users will be able to view your driving score. Neither Discovery nor Avis will be responsible for any unauthorised disclosure by such users of your driving score or any consequences resulting from such disclosure.
Use and registration of the app
The app and its associated services is intended for use by licensed motorists and is subject to and governed by this policy. If you are registering the app in your own capacity, you must be 18 years or older and must have the capacity to enter into a contract. If you are registering the app on behalf of a business entity, you must be 18 years or older and must be duly authorised by that entity to act on its behalf and to bind it contractually.
Discovery and Avis may, in their sole and absolute discretion, refuse to make the app available to any person or entity and to change the eligibility criteria for use of the app at any time.
You are solely responsible to ensure that your use of the app is not precluded in terms of any law, rule or regulation applicable to you or the business entity on behalf of which you are using the app and Discovery will not be liable for any direct or indirect consequences relating to such preclusion.
What personal information can I view on the app?
You can view the following information on the app by visiting the Account details screen:
- Cellphone number
- Additional user/s
How do I delete my account?
Should you ever decide to discontinue your use of the Avis SafeDrive programme, simply uninstall the app. Because of the way we maintain the app, such deletion may not reflect immediately, and residual copies of your profile information may remain on backup media for up to sixty (60) days.
Rules and conduct
You may not use the app for any purpose that is prohibited by this policy or by law. You are solely responsible for all activity on the app on your device. For example, and not as a limitation, you may not (and may not permit any third party to) a) take any action or b) upload, download, post, submit or otherwise distribute or facilitate distribution of any content on or through the app, including without limitation, any user submission that:
- infringes any trademark, copyright, right of publicity or other right of any other person or entity or violates any law or contractual duty;
- you know is false, misleading, untruthful or inaccurate;
- is unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, deceptive, fraudulent, invasive of another's privacy, tortuous, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, offensive, profane, contains or depicts nudity, promotes bigotry, discrimination or violence, or is otherwise inappropriate as determined by us at our sole discretion;
- constitutes unauthorised or unsolicited advertising, junk or bulk e-mail ("spamming");
- contains software viruses or any other computer codes, files, worms, logic bombs or programs that are designed or intended to disrupt, disable, damage, limit or interfere with the proper function of any software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment or to damage or obtain unauthorised access to any system, data, password or other information residing with us or any third party;
- impersonates any person or entity, including any employee or representative of Avis, Discovery or any third party;
- includes anyone's personal details; or
- take any action that imposes or may impose (as determined by us at our sole discretion) an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our (or our third party providers') infrastructure;
- interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the app or any activities conducted on the app;
- bypass any measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the app (or other accounts, computer systems or networks connected to the app);
- harvest or scrape any content from the app;
- modify, adapt, appropriate, reproduce, distribute, translate, create derivative works or adaptations of, publicly display, republish, repurpose, sell, trade, or in any way exploit the app (other than your user submissions), except as expressly authorised by us;
- decipher, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer or otherwise attempt to derive any source code or underlying ideas or algorithms of any part of the app (including without limitation any application or widget);
- copy, rent, lease, distribute, or otherwise transfer any of the rights that you receive hereunder; or
- otherwise take any action in violation of our guidelines and policies in place from time to time.
Scoring and Rewards
- Your mobile data, Bluetooth, GPS need to be switched on and connected to the Avis SafeDrive Sensor for the trip to be eligible. Only trips that recorded all the relevant data will qualify towards rewards.
- To qualify for overall rental rewards, 70% of trips (based on driving time) need to be eligible throughout the duration of your rental.
- Your trips will be recorded daily and daily Active Rewards earned will reflect the following day.
- The way in which driving scores are calculated and Active Rewards are earned is determined by Discovery from time to time and may be amended by Discovery in its sole and absolute discretion.
Your use of the app and participation in the Avis SafeDrive programme is voluntary and at your own risk. While we will use our best endeavors to provide you with the services and benefits associated with the Avis SafeDrive programme, neither Discovery nor Avis nor any of their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers or employees will be liable for any loss, claim, damage, injury or death resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the app or participation in the Avis SafeDrive programme.
Will there be changes to this policy?
We may amend this policy from time to time. Use of information we collect now is subject to the policy in effect at the time such information is used. If we make material changes in the way we use personal Information, we will notify you by posting an announcement on the Avis SafeDrive App. Users are bound by any changes to the policy when they use the app after such changes have been posted.
Acceptance of the terms and conditions
By downloading and using the app in any manner, you agree to the terms and conditions set out herein and consent to the sharing of your personal information as detailed above. Some services offered through the app may be subject to additional terms and conditions communicated by us from time to time. Your use of such services is subject to those additional terms and conditions.
What if I have questions or concerns?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding privacy using the app or about our terms and conditions you can go to the Help menu on the app for details.