Frequently Asked Questions
AFTER YOU'VE BOOKED
You will need to have the following when collecting your car:
- Credit card in the driver's name
- Valid driver's licence
If you have pre-paid for your car rental you will need to produce the same credit card that you used for the rental as well as the pre-paid voucher (unless stipulated that no voucher is required).
International visitors to South Africa will need to produce a valid passport as well.
You can pay online or at the rental counter when you collect your vehicle, using a Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Diners and hybrid cheque cards (debit card are not accepted). If you have paid online, please don't forget to bring the same card you made your booking with when you collect your rental car.
At the rental counter we simply hold an authorisation amount on your credit card which will only be debited for the final amount once the car has been returned.
Avis accepts the following methods of payment:
- Credit card
- Hybrid cheque card
- Avis corporate or travel voucher (an Avis corporate or Travel account is required for this method of payment)
Avis does not accept cash.
Avis does not accept debit cards. If you have prepaid for your rental using a debit card please ensure that you are able to produce a credit card when collecting the car.
What defines a hybrid cheque card?
- The card must display the MasterCard or Visa logo.
- The numbers must be raised on the card, the same as a credit card, with the words "Cheque Card" reflected on the back or front of the card.
- Avis will process cheque card rentals in the same manner as credit card rentals. The estimated authorisation amount will be held on the account for the duration of the rental and charged on termination.
When collecting your rental car Avis will place a authorisation hold on your credit card. The amount depends whether you chose to pay upfront when you booked your vehicle or later over the counter.
- If you paid upfront, we place a hold on your card for the costs of any extras, fuel and services that was not already paid.
- If you chose to pay later, we will hold the full cost of the hire plus extras and estimated cost of a tank of fuel.
If you are renting over a weekend an additional "weekend authorisation" will be taken for the duration of the rental as follows:
- Locations in Gauteng, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Northern Cape, North West Province, Free State, KwaZulu Natal and Eastern Cape: R5 000
- Locations in Western Cape: R2 500
- The additional weekend authorisation will be waived from airport locations upon presentation of a valid airline boarding pass/e-ticket printout.
Remember to factor in the amount that will be held against your credit card, so you have enough to spend on your journey.
Once the car has been returned your credit card will be debited with the final amount due. The authorisation amount will be released within the time frame as stipulated by your own banking institution.
The liability is the amount you pay if your hire vehicle is damaged or stolen (or part there of). The amount will depend on the vehicle you hire and whether you choose to reduce the liability by upgrading your level of waiver.
When you hire a vehicle with us, you have an option of standard waivers for vehicle damage (Collision Damage Waiver) and vehicle theft waiver (Theft Loss Waiver) or reduce your liability further with the super option.
If you have already booked your rental car and would like to upgrade your cover you can call Avis direct or when collecting your rental car to reduce your liability.
The Avis Brand Ambassador will offer the following additional options when collecting your rental car:
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Windscreen and Tyre Damage Waiver
- Super Waivers (if you have not booked on super waiver inclusive rates already)
While we recommend purchasing these they are not mandatory.
We will do our utmost to meet your request however we cannot guarantee a specific vehicle make or model.
Yes, all you need to do is contact Avis and we will extend your car rental to the date and time advised. When extending a rental an additional authorisation will be reserved on your credit card straight away for the extra costs.
If you have been in an accident you need to take care of yourself and your passengers first and foremost. If there are any injuries please contact emergencies services straight away.
When you are able to please call the 24 hour Avis Roadside and Emergencies call center on 0800 001 669 or +27 11 387 8432 to report the accident. We will provide assistance with emergency services if required and arrange for the vehicle to be towed.
Standard procedures need to be followed with all accidents, please take all the details of any third parties involved and report the accident to the police. We also recommend taking photos of the accident to assist with your claim.
Unfortunately, with the nature of any vehicle, mechanical faults do occur from time to time.
If your rental car happens to break down please call the 24 hour Avis Roadside and Emergencies call centre on 0800 001 669 or +27 11 387 8432 where agents are on standby to assist you.