Frequently Asked Questions
AFTER YOU'VE BOOKED
I've booked my car and received a confirmation number. Is there anything else I need to do before collecting?
If you have received a reservation number (e.g. 4321-1234-ZA-1), your rental car has been booked and confirmed. There is nothing left for you to do but collect it.
You will need to have the following when collecting your car:
- Credit card in the driver's name
- Valid driver's licence
If you have pre-paid for your car rental you will need to produce the same credit card that you used for the rental as well as the pre-paid voucher (unless stipulated that no voucher is required).
International visitors to South Africa will need to produce a valid passport as well.
You can pay online or at the rental counter when you collect your vehicle, using a Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Diners and hybrid cheque cards (debit card are not accepted). If you have paid online, please don't forget to bring the same card you made your booking with when you collect your rental car.
At the rental counter we simply hold an authorisation amount on your credit card which will only be debited for the final amount once the car has been returned.
Avis accepts the following methods of payment:
- Credit card
- Hybrid cheque card
- Avis corporate or travel voucher (an Avis corporate or Travel account is required for this method of payment)
Avis does not accept cash.
Avis does not accept debit cards.
What defines a hybrid cheque card?
- The card must display the MasterCard or Visa logo.
- The numbers must be raised on the card, the same as a credit card, with the words "Cheque Card" reflected on the back or front of the card.
- Avis will process cheque card rentals in the same manner as credit card rentals. The estimated authorisation amount will be held on the account for the duration of the rental and charged on termination.
When collecting your rental car Avis will place a authorisation hold on your credit card. The amount depends whether you chose to pay upfront when you booked your vehicle or later over the counter.
- If you paid upfront, we place a hold on your card for the costs of any extras, fuel and services that have not already been paid for.
- If you chose to pay later, we will hold the full cost of the hire plus extras and estimated cost of a tank of fuel.
If you are renting over a weekend an additional "weekend authorisation" will be taken for the duration of the rental as follows:
- Coastal Branches - R3,500 (on all car groups)
- Inland Branches - R7,500 on Car Groups A-E and R10,000 on Car Groups F - N
The additional weekend authorisation will be waived from airport locations upon presentation of a valid airline boarding pass/e-ticket printout.
Remember to factor in the amount that will be held against your credit card, so you have enough to spend on your journey.
Once the car has been returned your credit card will be debited with the final amount due and the remaining amount being held will be released.
The authorisation amount will be released within the time frame as stipulated by your own banking institution which is usually 10-30 days. The release may take longer on certain bank cards (e.g. FNB Cheque cards). If you do experience a delay in the authorisation amount being released we ask that you contact Avis Customer Services on 0861 021 111 or +27 11 387 8431 (option 3), so that they can manually request the release of the authorisation with the relevant bank.
The liability is the amount you pay if your hire vehicle is damaged or stolen (or part there of). The amount will depend on the vehicle you hire and whether you choose to reduce the liability by upgrading your level of waiver.
When you hire a vehicle with us, you have an option of standard waivers for vehicle damage (Collision Damage Waiver) and vehicle theft waiver (Theft Loss Waiver) or reduce your liability further with the super option.
If you have already booked your rental car and would like to upgrade your cover you can call Avis direct or when collecting your rental car to reduce your liability.
The Avis Brand Ambassador will offer the following additional options when collecting your rental car:
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Windscreen and Tyre Damage Waiver
- Super Waivers (if you have not booked on super waiver inclusive rates already)
While we recommend purchasing these they are not mandatory.
We will do our utmost to meet your request however we cannot guarantee a specific vehicle make or model.
- At least 3 complete days before 'pick up' - The lower of (i) the full amount you have paid us, or (ii) R399.00.
- Less than 3 complete days before 'pick up' - The lower of (i) the full amount you paid us, or (ii) 3 days' worth of your booking.
- On day of 'pick up' or if you do not cancel and fail to show-up - No refund. We will retain the full amount.
If you have chosen to pay for your rental when you collect your vehicle there will be no cancellation fee if you cancel before 'pick up' but should you fail to collect the vehicle without cancelling a 'non-cancellation' fee of R399.00 will be charged.
Please note - if you have booked an Avis Prestige vehicle the following cancellation fee's will apply:
- Cancellation or amendment to check-out date and check-out date less than 7 days before the check-out will attract a cancellation fee of up to 50% of the confirmed rental.
- If your rental is confirmed within the cancellation period, the full charges will be applied if cancelled.
- Once a rental is in progress, the full number of days booked will be charged if the vehicle is returned ealier.
Yes, all you need to do is contact Avis and we will extend your car rental to the date and time advised. When extending a rental an additional authorisation will be reserved on your credit card straight away for the extra costs.