Personal Accident Insurance
Your guide to Personal Accident Insurance, because life doesn't always go as planned.
There is no escaping the fact that, in life, accidents happen. At Avis, we have always believed that people are more important than cars - this has been the guiding principle in offering our quality Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) product.
In the event of an accident, the various waivers available offer you the opportunity to reduce your damage costs and potential liability should other parties be involved in the accident. While these waivers cover the vehicle, any hospitalisation or other medical expenses incurred are not covered.
Too often we hear about, or may unfortunately have experienced, the hardship and trauma that can be left behind with a spouse or family members when our customers are injured in a car accident.
With this mind we have designed our Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) to give you peace of mind when driving. Once an accident has been reported to us, our Europ Assistance partners, with their team of medical experts and experienced emergency response teams, ensure that you receive the best treatment available at private hospitals. We want the professionals to take care of you and your family when you need it most!
What are the benefits of PAI?
If an accident involving the rented vehicle occurs during the period of your rental agreement and you have selected the PAI option, your insurers will:
Pay R200 000 to a surviving spouse in the event of your death or the death of a passenger (limited to R30 000 per individual in respect of minors under the age of 14 years and R10 000 per individual in respect of minors under the age of 6) and subject to a total limit of R1000 000 in respect of any one vehicle or any one incident. In terms of South African law anybody injured or killed as a result of motor accident within South Africa, they will be covered by the Road Accident Fund. Outside of South Africa, Avis has the necessary covers as required by the laws of each country.
Pay, in the event of your death or of a passenger, the costs of the repatriation of the remains to the town of residence and up to R20 000 for ancillary costs incurred, subject to the total limit of R250 000 in respect of any one vehicle or any one incident.
Pay for medical expenses not recoverable from any medical or health scheme incurred by you or your passengers, subject to a total limit of R250 000 in respect of any one vehicle or any one incident.
Provide or assist you to obtain:
- 24-hour medical advice
- an emergency dispatch of response vehicle or ambulance
- inter-hospital basic and intensive-care transfers
- air-ambulance transfers to the dispatch of emergency medicines or blood
- help for stranded minors
- emotional support and counseling
Pay up to R5 000 towards transportation or accommodation costs should you and your passengers be stranded after a breakdown or after an accident involving the vehicle you rented.
Permanent disability benefit
If you or your passengers are permanently disabled from an accident sustained while you are in a rented vehicle during the period of your rental contract, and you have selected the PAI option, your insurers will pay a percentage of the death benefit as follows:
- Max of R200 000
- Permanent loss of hand or foot
- R200 000
- Permanent loss of sight in one or both eyes
- R200 000
- Permanent total loss of hearing in one ear
- R200 000
- Permanent total loss of speech
- R50 000
- Injuries resulting in permanent and total incapacity from following usual occupation
- R200 000
- Loss of all toes on one foot
- R60 000
- Loss of four fingers
- R140 000
- Loss of thumb:
- Loss of index finger:
What is not covered by PAI?
- Any claim if you are over 75 years of age when signing the Avis Rent a Car Rental Agreement.
- Accidents that happen outside the Republic of South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia or Malawi.
- In respect of Death, Disability, Medical Expenses and Travel Delay, accidents that happen outside of Republic of South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia or Malawi.
- In respect of Repatriation and Accident Support, accidents that happen outside of Republic of South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia or Malawi.
- If you or any other driver of the rental vehicle is driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the accident.
- If the claim arises from war or similar hostility or if you or your passengers are participating in a riot.
- If the rental vehicle is carrying more passengers that the number of seatbelts fitted at the time of the accident.
- An injury or illness which arises more than 24 months after the accident.
- Any claim unless every person injured submits to a medical examination and is prepared to undergo treatment when reasonably required to do so.
- Any claim arising from suicide, attempted suicide, intentional self-injury or which is caused directly from an existing physical defect or other infirmity.
- Any claim that is under dispute if you have not instituted legal action within 6 months of having your claim rejected.
- This is the entire policy
- No hidden costs
- No small print
This insurance is governed by the laws of the Republic of South Africa whose courts shall have jurisdiction in any dispute.
Information about your insurers
Guardrisk Insurance Company (FSP 75)
- Tel: 27 (0) 11 669 1000
- Fax: 27 (0) 11 669 1931
Guardrisk, Tower 2, 102 Rivonia Road, Sandton, Johannesburg, 2196
Compliance Officer: email@example.com
We make it easy to claim
If something happens and you need our help, at any time of the day or night, call: 0800 001 669
Information about Avis
Avis Rent a Car, a registered Financial Service Provider, licence number 43247, is a division or Barloworld South Africa (Pty) Ltd. Registration Number 1946/021661/07. Avis acts as an intermediary for the insurer from which it earns 20% commission.
Tel: +27 (0) 11 923 3500
3 Brabazon Road, Isando Gauteng
PO Box 221, Isando, 1600
Conflict of Interest
We operate a Cell Captive which allows us to participate in underwriting profits. To mitigate this we have appointed brokers (Willis South Africa (Pty) Ltd) to adjudicate claims whose contact details are:
Tel: +27 (0) 11 535 5400
Address: 22 Friedman Drive, Sandton, Gauteng
Complaints and Compliance
Complaints Tel: +27 (0) 11 387 8431
Associated Compliance (Pty) Ltd
Tel: +27 (0) 11 678 2533
Fax: +27 (0) 11 678 7731
FAIS Ombud Contact Details
PO Box 74571, Lynnwood Ridge, 0040
Tel: +27 (0) 12 470 9080/97
Fax: +27 (0) 12 348 3447
Avis National Call Centre
National: 0861 021 111
International: +27 (0) 11 387 8431
Preferred Service: 0861 932 273