Car hire at Faro Airport
Car hire Faro AirportFaro Airport is located just 4km from Faro’s beautiful medieval town centre. With its narrow cobbled streets and bustling outdoor cafes, Faro is a fantastic destination with lots to see and do.
The Avis desk is located on the lower floor at arrivals
Address & Contact DetailsAeroporto Faro, Est Aeroporto Montenegro, Faro, 8000 124. Tel: 351 289 810 120
24-hour drop off
Plan your trip from Faro AirportAlthough Faro airport is relatively small it deals with thousands of French, German and British holiday makers (amongst others) daily.
There are buses and other public transport options available from the airport itself but most tend to hire cars or use taxis to get to where they need to go.
The airport is located close to the main city and although small, Faro City is certainly worth a visit.
Once you land you’ll find yourself right on the A22 motorway making it an ideal starting point for your Algarve journey.
Road trips from Faro AirportThere are lots of beautiful beaches and resorts closet to Faro that are well worth a visit including Quinta Do Lago, Vale Do Lobo, Vilamoura, Albufeira, Portimão and Lagos.
If you’re looking for something a little bit different you can find an exquisite beach on an island nature-reserve just off the town of Tavira, 25 miles northeast of Faro.
Portugal road rulesWhich side of the road?
In Portugal, please drive on the right side of the road.
Country driving laws
- Mobile phones may only be used with a headset or hands-free device
- Do not use the horn in a built up area unless in danger
- If you're caught committing a driving offence, the police can issue an on-the-spot fine
- As you approach toll booths on motorways, don't use the green lanes. These are reserved for drivers using an automatic e-toll payment system. (Please speak to an Avis representative when collecting your rental car if you would like us to register you for this service)
All speed signs will be in km/h.
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: 50 km/h (31 mph)
- Rural areas: 90 km/h (55mph)
- Motorways: 120 km/h (74 mph)
Unless indicated by road signs.
Child safety / Seatbelt laws
- It is compulsory for the driver and all passengers to wear a seatbelt
- Children aged under 12 and less than 135cm must be seated in appropriate child restraint for their size
- Children aged under 12 are not allowed to sit in the front seat
Please note - It is the child’s parent / guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
This road rules information is for provided for general guidance only. We endeavour to keep the information up to date and accurate, but any reliance you place on this information is at your own risk.