Car Hire in Faro
The perfect hire car will soon be yours
The moment you arrive, we’ve got you covered at Faro Airport. Whether you fancy a sprightly compact, homely hatch or stylish saloon for a suitably stylish break, we have the perfect car for you.
Portugal’s southernmost city gives visitors to the Algarve a taste of the real Portugal. Accelerate out of Faro airport and draw into the medieval town with its narrow cobbled streets that bustle with outdoor cafés. Head to Praia de Faro beach and splash around across sea and lagoon.
Remember, you don’t have to drive full-circle: make the most of one way car hire across Portugal and beyond.
Your journey starts hereWorried you’ll get lost?
To make your journey even easier, we can include a sat nav with your car so you can relax. Request yours when you book.
Return your car when it suits you
You can return your hire car out of hours, because we understand flights run through the night. Just tell us in advance.
Driving rules in PortugalWhich side of the road?
In Portugal, please drive on the right side of the road.
Country driving laws
- Mobile phones may only be used with a headset or hands-free device
- Do not use the horn in a built up area unless in danger
- If you're caught committing a driving offence, the police can issue an on-the-spot fine
- As you approach toll booths on motorways, don't use the green lanes. These are reserved for drivers using an automatic e-toll payment system. (Please speak to an Avis representative when collecting your rental car if you would like us to register you for this service)
All speed signs will be in km/h.
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: 50 km/h (31 mph)
- Rural areas: 90 km/h (55mph)
- Motorways: 120 km/h (74 mph)
Unless indicated by road signs.
Child safety / Seatbelt laws
- It is compulsory for the driver and all passengers to wear a seatbelt
- Children aged under 12 and less than 135cm must be seated in appropriate child restraint for their size
- Children aged under 12 are not allowed to sit in the front seat
Please note - It is the child’s parent / guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
This road rules information is for provided for general guidance only. We endeavour to keep the information up to date and accurate, but any reliance you place on this information is at your own risk.