Car Hire Duesseldorf Airport
Find your perfect car hire at Düsseldorf Airport
Settled on the banks of the River Rhine, the dazzlingly dynamic city of Düsseldorf has more to offer than modern charm. Scratch below the surface of Northern Rhineland’s cool capital and you’ll find the city’s soul comes alive in the bustling historical quarter.
Pick up your hire car at Düsseldorf Airport and explore this vibrant German city and its stunning surrounds at your leisure.
Address & Contact DetailsFlughafen Duesseldorf, Flughafenstrasse, Duesseldorf, 40474. Tel: 02114216747/48
24-hour drop off
|Tuesday||06:15 - 23:30|
|Wednesday||06:15 - 23:30|
|Thursday||06:15 - 23:30|
|Friday||06:15 - 23:30|
|Saturday||06:30 - 23:00|
|Sunday||06:30 - 23:00|
|Monday||06:15 - 23:30|
Plan your journey from Düsseldorf AirportDrive just 15 minutes south of the airport and you’ll arrive in Düsseldorf’s sleek city centre. There’s plenty on offer throughout this eclectic urban hub, where glistening skyscrapers are just a few steps away from historic buildings and classic monuments.
The Old Town is the perfect place to start your tour. Cultural attractions here include the Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen – an art institute with an extensive permanent collection of works by big names such as Picasso, Mondrian and Matisse. For contemporary art, the Museum Kunstpalast is well worth visiting.
The central area of the city is also where some of Düsseldorf’s most famous religious buildings stand, including the basilica of St Lambertus. This impressive landmark is instantly recognisable because of its unusual twisting spire, originally a result of the wood becoming warped after a fire in 1815.
Düsseldorf’s Old Town also boasts a busy nightlife. The area boasts more than 260 pubs, clubs and bars, while a variety of restaurants serve up national and international cuisine.
When you need a break from sightseeing, head to the Rhine embankment promenade linking the Old Town to the harbour. The promenade is an intriguing place to people-watch from the cluster of cafes offering outside seating.
Discover Düsseldorf and the great winding road beyond from the comfort of your Avis hire car.
Road trips from Düsseldorf AirportNorthern Rhineland is a stunning part of Germany with a colourful past and vibrant present. Today it offers a mix of old with new and you’ll come across everything from modern cities, such as Düsseldorf, to areas of incredible natural beauty on your road trip.
Only a 55-minute drive from Düsseldorf Airport is Cologne – Germany’s fourth largest city. A visit to the enormous Cologne Cathedral is a must, while you’re spoilt for choice with museums to explore. The Museum of East Asian Art and the Museum Ludwig, which displays modern artworks, are both well worth visiting. There are also a number of delightful parks and gardens to stretch your legs. If you only get time to visit one, make sure it’s the Botanical Garden in Riehl, near the Rhine’s left bank.
Eifel National Park
Drive for just under 90 minutes from Düsseldorf and you’ll arrive at Eifel National Park, where you can escape the hustle and bustle for a day. A paradise for nature lovers, this beautiful expanse boasts lush forests, sparkling lakes and wild grasslands. Spot hundreds of endangered plant and animal species along the way.
With an Avis rental car you’ll have the freedom to explore all that Düsseldorf and Northern Rhineland has to offer.
Driving rules in GermanyWhich side of the road?
In Germany, please drive on the right side of the road.
Country driving laws
- Mobile phones may only be used with a headset or hands-free device
- At crossroads or junctions in urban areas, you have the right of way if there is a road sign with a yellow diamond at the intersection. A white triangle with a red border indicates you must wait for the oncoming traffic to clear
- Be aware that on unrestricted motorways (autobahns) you can still get a speeding ticket for driving too fast for the prevailing traffic or weather conditions
- A number of German cities have low emission zones that require you to have a special permit to drive through them
- In cities, if you see a blue sign with white car, children and bike symbols on it, you must drive at walking speed
- If you're caught committing a driving offence, the police can issue an on-the-spot fine
All speed signs will be in km/h.
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: 50km/h (30 mph)
- Rural areas: 100km/h (62 mph)
- Motorways (autobahns): None unless shown. 130km/h (80 mph) is the suggested maximum
Unless indicated by road signs.
Child safety / Seatbelt laws
- It is compulsory for the driver and all passengers to wear a seatbelt
- Children aged under 12 and less than 150cm tall must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size
Please note - It is the child’s parent / guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
This road rules information is for provided for general guidance only. We endeavour to keep the information up to date and accurate, but any reliance you place on this information is at your own risk.