After Your Rental
Car Rental Guide
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW AFTER YOUR RENTAL
Find out what the process is once our have returned your rental car here.
Still have questions or can't find what you're looking for here? Give us a call on +27 11 923 3518 or email email@example.com and we'll help you out.
Please keep in mind that these FAQ's are for car rentals taking place in South Africa. If you are renting another Avis product, e.g. Avis Luxury Cars, or outside of South Africa please refer to their Terms and Conditions for the information required.
When collecting your vehicle we would have taken an additional authorisation hold on your credit card, over and above the cost of the rental. This is to cover any additional charges, e.g. fuel, addtional mileage, damage, etc. that may be incurred during the rental. Please note that this is only a hold on your account and that we do not debit the funds from your account.
As soon as your rental has been completed and your bill finalised we debit the cost of the rental from the amount that is being held and send a automatic notification to your bank to release the hold. This usually occurs within 48 hours of you returning your rental car.
The timeframe for the hold being released is dependant on your bank, with some banks taking up to 30 days to release the funds.
Please contact your bank for any authorisation hold queries.
Please keep in mind: Because this is a authorisation hold that is being released and there is no refund being paid into your account you will not receive a notification from your bank for this transaction. You will need to check your bank account to see if the funds have been released.
You will receive an SMS with a link to download your invoice within 72 hours of returning your rental car.
Should you not receive the SMS within 72 hours you can download your invoice here.
If you have hired a car outside of Southern Africa and have not received your invoice please contact Avis Customer Care on +27 11 387 8431 or 0861 021 111 to request it.
A late debit of R385.00 would most likely be for a Traffic Fine admin fee.
Because we can only charge the fee when the traffic fine is received from the Traffic Department the debit may occur weeks, or sometimes months, after your rental has taken place. We will notify you about the impending charge before we deduct the fee though.
Please be aware that we charge the fee per offence as an administration cost for having the traffic fine redirected to you. You will still be responsible to pay for the fine with the Traffic Department once you have received it.
At Avis, we include all the mandatory costs into your total on the confirmation. This includes the Rental Contract Fee (which is often left out until it’s time to pay), the location/airport surcharge, tourism levy, VAT, specified free mileage and selected waivers.
There are additional charges, however, that could have been incurred during the rental which include:
When booking your vehicle, you will be allocated a number of free kilometers. This is usually around 100 – 200km per day which are totalled for you rental. I.e. if you rent a car for 5 days and you are quoted 200km free per day you will have a total of 1000km free to use for your rental.
If your free kilometers are exceeded there is an additional cost per kilometer thereafter. This additional cost is supplied on your booking confirmation and the Rental Agreement.
Fuel is not included in the rental price. When collecting your rental vehicle it will have a full tank of petrol. When returning the vehicle, you can either fill up before arriving at the branch and incur no additional cost or return the vehicle with a partially filled tank. We will then top it up for you at the standard fuel price, plus a minimal refueling fee, which will be added to your final invoice.
All of our vehicles are fitted with e-tags which allow you to pass through the Gauteng e-toll gantries and tollgates which have E-Tag enabled gantries throughout South Africa. All toll fee's incurred during your rental and a minimal e-toll administration fee will be added to your final invoice.
When booking your vehicle, you will be given the option to book either a standard or super collision damage waiver. The waiver booked will determine the amount you will be responsible for if the vehicle is damaged or stolen.
If the vehicle is returned with damages that fall outside of our fair wear and tear guide these damages will be added to your final invoice up to the amount that you are responsible for.
Damages also incur a Damage Administration fee which will be added to your invoice if damages are incurred. If the damages costs are less than R300 the administration fee is R110 and if they are greater than R300 the fee will be R500.
Damage repairs and costs take up to a week to be assessed which will delay your final invoice amount.
Should you rental vehicle be stolen you will be charge for the liability amount that you are responsible for.
Tyre and Windscreen Damage
Tyre, rim, hubcap and windscreen damage are not included in your collision damage waiver. Should any of these be damaged during the rental you will be liable up to the amount of R10 000. This liability can be waived when purchasing the additional Windscreen and Tyre Damage waiver at the counter when collecting the car or through the Avis Call Centre beforehand.
Traffic Fine Administration Fees
If a traffic fine is issued during your rental it will be routed to Avis. We then need to process the fine and have it rerouted to you. Because of this a traffic fine administration fee of R385 is charged for each traffic fine that is received. This fee does not cover the cost of the traffic fine and you will still be responsible to pay the fine with the traffic authority when it reaches you.
This fee is only processed once we have received the traffic fine which could be up to 3 months, or longer, after your rental has taken place. The amount will be deducted from the credit card used for the rental and an amended invoice issued.
We encourage you to obey the rules of the road at all times to ensure the safety of all road users and to avoid traffic fines and the additional costs that come with them.
A rental day is calculated as a 24-hour period with a 29-minute grace period. If you are renting a car for one day and collect it at 08h00 you will have until 08h29 the following day to return the vehicle. Should you return the car after the grace period has been exceeded (even by 1 minute) an extra day's rental will be charged to your invoice.
Keep your Rental Agreement handy to see the exact time that that car was checked out and ensure that you return the vehicle on time to avoid being charged an additional day.
Should the vehicle be returned unreasonably late and no arrangements have been made with Avis to extend the rental an R1000.00 Overdue Rental Administration fee will be charged.
Optional Extras and Add-Ons
You will be offered optional extras at the counter when collecting your car, such as Personal Accident Insurance, Windscreen and Tyre Damage Waiver, etc. Should you choose to add an optional extra or add additional services, e.g. an additional driver, they will be added to your final invoice.
Changing Your Car Group
If you decide you need a different car and change the car group from the one that was originally booked your rental price will be adjusted to the price of the new car group.
Avis invoices are itemised and may consist of the following:
- Free Kilometres - This refers to the kilometres that were included in rental rate per day.
- Kilometres - These are the additional kilometres charged for when exceeding your free kilometre allowance.
- Days - The number of days (calculated per 24 hours) that are being charged for.
- Time and Distance - This is a combination of the days and or kilometres.
- Windscreen and Tyre Damage Waiver - This is the charge for the Windscreen and Tyre Damage Waiver if you opted to add it to your rental.
- Collision Damage Waiver - This is the charge for the collision damage waiver selected.
- Theft Loss Waiver - This is the charge of the theft loss waiver selected.
- Personal Accident Insurance - This is charged if you added Personal Accident Insurance to your rental.
- Extended Roadside Assistance - This is charged if you added Extended Roadside Assistance to your rental.
- SafeDrive - This is charged if you added the Avis SafeDrive app to your rental.
- E-Toll Charges - This is the charge for all e-tolls incurred during your rental and includes the E-Toll administration fee.
- One Way Fee - This is charged if you collected your car at one location and returned it to another.
- Refueling Service Fee - This is charged if there is a requirement for us to refuel the vehicle. This service fee is taxable and is not the actual fuel amount charged.
- x Litres of Petrol at ZAR xx.xx - If there is an requirement for us to refuel the tank to full capacity we will charge for the fuel at the standard petrol price applicable at the time.
- Location Surcharge and Tourism Levy
- An Airport Surcharge is imposed by Airports Company South Africa at certain airport locations and applies to all car rental company.
- A location surcharge is levied by smaller and remote locations due to higher logistic costs of operating at these locations.
- A Tourism Levy is imposed by Tourism Marketing South Africa with the aim of contributing to the promotion of South Africa.
- Contract Fee - This fee is charged on each rental agreement. We charge this fee for the administration and storage of rental documents for a maximum of 5 years.
- VAT charge on Taxables (T) 15.00% - In accordance with the legal requirements of the country in which the rental takes place, Avis is obliged to charge the required government taxes, which are subject to change without notice, for rental services. VAT is not refundable in South Africa on car rental as it is perceived to have been a service which was utilised within the country.
Should there be an unexpected charge on your invoice or you have a general query please contact the Avis Customer Service team on 0861 021 111 (Option 2) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please ensure you have your reservation number or rental agreement number on hand to that we can assist your timeously.