Mobile Wi-Fi and sat nav
Now or neverWe know that there are two technologies you can't leave home without: sat nav and uninterrupted Wi-Fi.
Our technology products, where available, can be added during the online booking process. Once you've selected your vehicle group, you'll be asked to "Choose your extras". Scroll down to the "Mobile Wi-Fi" and "GPS" boxes. You can also book these products, or add to an existing booking, by calling our reservations hotline or at the rental counter.
Avis Mobile Wi-FiOur Mobile Wi-Fi package offers unlimited* wireless internet access for laptops, smartphones, tablets and any other Wi-Fi-enabled device. Enjoy the freedom of mobile connectivity without exorbitant roaming or hotel data charges.
Travelling for business?
Turn your hire car into a mobile office, staying in touch with HQ and your clients on the go. Take a break to answer emails, send sizeable presentations or join a video conference.
Driving with kids in tow?
Keep the little ones entertained on long journeys with cartoons streamed onto a tablet or laptop; older children can stay tuned with their Facebook and Instagram feeds, stream music, watch videos or play online games.
Travelling somewhere new?
Open up a GPS application like Google Maps on your smartphone and enjoy turn-by-turn navigation for your journey without draining your own data allowance.
What you get with Mobile Wi-Fi:
- Connectivity for up to five devices at once – laptops, smartphones, tablets or gaming consoles
- Unlimited* access to surf the web, check your emails and update your social networks
- You won't even know it's there: the pocked-sized unit fits in your palm, measuring just under 10cm x 5cm, and weighs next to nothing (75g).
* Fair usage policy applies: 1GB of data per day.
R99 per day!
Rates are inclusive of VAT.
Avis GPS rental is subject to a liability amount of R1 975 payable by the hirer should the unit be lost, stolen or damaged. A fee will be charged for stolen, lost or damaged accessories.
Key Avis GPS Renter Responsibilities
1. When collecting the GPS unit at the Avis station, the GPS Renter should check that all accessories (i.e: a GPS unit, a charger, a cradle and suction cup) are in the Avis GPS bag.
2. The GPS unit should be switched on at the rental counter to ensure the unit has power and is ready for use (note: some environments may experience poor, or loss of signal due to the nature of the building). The GPS unit will be assumed to be in good working order unless otherwise advised by the GPS Renter while on the premises of the Avis GPS collection branch.
3. In the event that a GPS unit has been stolen during the rental period or damaged beyond economical repair, the GPS Renter will be responsible for the specified GPS Rental liability amount.
- A copy of the Avis Damage Report Form (enclosed in the Avis Rent A Car Rental Agreement) must be completed on return to record the loss/damage.
- It is recommended, that when returning the Avis GPS unit at an Avis branch, it is handed to an authorized Avis representative and a pro-forma invoice requested to ensure correct billing.
6.A GPS unit cannot be issued to any car rental customer wishing to travel on a one way returning outside of South Africa (note: including Swaziland and Lesotho).
7.The GPS Renter accepts the applicable legal binding conditions already signed in the Avis Rent A Car Rental Agreement.
8.The GPS Renter agrees to the following charges:
- When a vehicle one way fee is being charged an additional GPS one way fee of R385 will be charged to return the GPS unit back to the original check out station.
- Loss or damage of any one of the GPS unit accessories will be charged at the actual cost of each accessory to a maximum of the GPS Rental liability.
What is Avis GPS?
The Global Positioning System (GPS) uses 24 satellites that circumnavigate the earth from space to pinpoint the receiver’s position on the earth’s surface. This information is coupled with mapping technology provides for auto-routing (voice directing turn-by-turn) navigation on all South African major, primary and secondary roads with mapping detail of more than 1000 South African cities, towns and rural villages. This includes all the South African metro’s, cities, major and secondary towns and no less than 759 rural Towns and villages and nearly 300 000km of road data. The mapping offers unrivalled coverage and is extremely user-friendly.
Travel throughout South Africa with Avis GPS Satellite Navigation. Find your way to the best sights, places and venues.
Only R99 per day!
There’s less wasted travel time for business renters and more peace of mind for leisure travellers.
How does it work?
The Avis GPS satellite navigation system unit plugs into a vehicle’s cigarette lighter point and is operated through a touch screen mechanism. Simply select the destination into the unit to be guided with turn-by-turn directions on screen and voice prompts with a choice of 17 languages: English, American English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, Portuguese, Dutch, Norwegian, Finnish, Polish, French Canadian, Flemish, Czech and Hungarian.
The satellite navigation system guides both visually and verbally to venues and places including:
◾Hotels & Guest houses
◾Community facilities including ATM’s
◾Transportation and transit locations
In short, get anywhere, without the worry of getting lost in a strange place.
Drive with confidence without having to fumble for maps, hunt down street signs or stop to ask for directions. There’s less wasted travel time for business renters and more peace of mind for leisure travellers
Let Avis GPS be your guideGetting lost in the great outdoors can be a stressful experience, especially when time is in short supply. Whether you're on home turf or touring abroad, we can help you along the way with quality portable sat nav devices offering turn-by-turn instructions.
"At roundabout, take the third exit"
We offer dependable, easy to use sat navs with voice prompts like the Garmin nüvi 54LM, stocked with helpful features like lane guidance, detailed views of tricky junctions and real-time speed camera alerts.*
Mini guides that talk
Our sat navs are jam-packed with detailed maps of Europe as well as points of interest, like shops, restaurants, heritage sites and attractions – plus nearby hospitals, police stations and petrol stations. You can even unplug your sat nav and use it for pedestrian navigation.
*This functionality must be turned off when driving in France
Avis Mobile Wi-Fi is available at these rental locations:
- Brussels Airport
Brussels Railway Station
- Aix en Provence Train Station
Charles de Gaulle Airport
Lyon Part Dieu Train Station
Geneve Airport (french side)
Paris Gare de Lyon
Lille Europe Train Station
Nantes Train Station
Bordeaux Train Station
Valence Train Station
Avignon Train Station
Neuilly sur Seine
- Berlin Tegel Airport
Berlin City West
Berlin Schönefeld Airport
- Corfu Airport
- Austria and Czech Republic
- Bari Airport
Florence - Borgognisanti
Milan Linate Airport
Milan Malpensa Airport Terminal 1
Milan Malpensa Airport Terminal 2
Milan - Piazza Diaz
Milan - Piazza Duca d'Aosta
Palermo - via Crispi
Rome Ciampino Airport
Rome Fiumicino Airport
Rome - Baldo degli Ubaldi
Rome - via Riano
Rome - Via Sardegna
Rome - Termini
- Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Rotterdam City Centre/Railway Station
- Innsbruck Airport
Lisbon - Hotel Mundial
Lisbon - Marques de Pombal
Lisbon - Praia Da Vitoria
Porto - Av. da Boavista
Porto - Train Station
- United Kingdom
- Basel Airport
- Alicante Airport
Barcelona Sants Train Station
Barcelona – Calle Corcega
Malaga Train Station
Madrid Atocha Train Station
Madrid - Gran Vía
- Aberdeen Airport
London City Airport
London Gatwick Airport - North Terminal
London Gatwick Airport - South Terminal
London Heathrow Airport T1-4
London Heathrow Airport T5
London Victoria Station
The small print
Avis Mobile Wi-Fi
- Book your Avis Mobile Wi-Fi online. Simply enter your pick-up location, dates/times and choose your vehicle. Mobile Wi-Fi can then be added under the "Other Extras" section
- In Europe, Mobile Wi-Fi works across borders.
- In the UK, Mobile Wi-Fi cannot be booked for One Way Rentals and works in the pick-up country only.
- Mobile Wi-Fi is subject to availability.
- Avis GPS is offered at hundreds of Avis rental stations worldwide and comes in a range of satellite navigation models.
- Reserve Avis GPS while booking online; you’ll find it under “Prices and Extras”.
- Alternatively, reserve your sat nav from our call centre or add one to an existing reservation by calling our reservations line.
- Worldwide prices will vary.